I’ve gotten all my Firefox extensions straightened out again since the 1.5 shake-up. Now that it’s sane, I wanted to report what I’m using so I’ll remember for the future, and so I can go look somewhere if I’m on my laptop or some other machine and I can’t remember which extension I was looking for.
Also at least one other person has asked me what extensions I’m using, so maybe others would be interested. I used the following to get a human-readable list of my extensions:
egrep ':(version|name|description|type)' ~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/extensions.rdf | \ perl -pe 'print "\n" if (/:version/); s/^[^=]+="//; s/"$//;' | \ (read EMPTY; while read VER; do \ read NAME; read DESC; read TYPE; read EMPTY; \ if echo "$TYPE" | grep \>2\<>/dev/null; then \ echo "$NAME $VER"; echo "$DESC"; echo ""; \ fi; \ done)
I bet there is an elegant XPath command to extract this directly with a single “perl” execution, but, uhm, I’m not an XML expert. :)
Almost all of these extensions were gotten from the Firefox extensions list:
- BugMeNot (0.9) Bypass compulsory web registration with the context menu via www.bugmenot.com.
- Tabbrowser Preferences (220.127.116.11) Enhances control over some aspects of tabbed browsing.
- Modify Headers (0.5.1) Add, modify and filter http request headers
- View Rendered Source Chart (1.2.03) Creates a Colorful Chart of a Webpage’s Rendered Source
- Gcache (0.2.1) Displays a google cached version of the webpage.
- Adblock (0.5.2.039) Filters ads from web-pages
- Word Count (0.3) Counts the number of words in selected text.
- Allow Right-Click (0.3) Defeats web sites’ right-click prevention scripts.
- User Agent Switcher (0.6.6) Adds a menu and a toolbar button to switch the user agent of the browser.
- Live HTTP Headers (0.11) View HTTP headers of a page and while browsing.
- Download Manager Tweak (0.7.1) A modification of the Firefox download manager that changes its appearance and allows it to be opened in a separate window, a new tab, or the sidebar.
- View Cookies (1.5) View cookies of the current web page.
- udtranslate (0.0.7) UDTranslate: a zombie translation utility for Urban Dead
- Stop-or-Reload Button (0.2) Turns the stop and reload buttons into a single one. When you can stop, you have a Stop button, otherwise you have a Reload button. (Like in Safari)
- Flashblock (1.5) Replaces Flash objects with a button you can click to view them.
- Greasemonkey (0.6.4) A User Script Manager for Firefox
- Fasterfox (1.0.1) Performance and network tweaks for Firefox.
- Disable Targets For Downloads (1.0) Prevents download links opening a blank window.
- QuickProxy (2005.12.04) Quickproxy creates a statusbar button to quickly turn the proxy on and off.
- DownThemAll! (0.9.8.4) The mass downloader for Firefox.
- Web Developer (0.9.4) Adds a menu and a toolbar with various web developer tools.
- Wayback (0.1.1) Displays an archived version of the webpage.
- Extended Cookie Manager (0.5.5) Change the cookie status for websites on demand.
In addition, it seems the option in TabBrowserPreferences for URL pasting into the display window to load was removed. After some Googling, I was directed to the about:config page, under “middlemouse.contentLoadURL”. Set it to true to restore the prior default behavior.
© 2006, Kees Cook. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License.